lauantai 14. helmikuuta 2015

Saint Valentine's Day Special

(The slight touch of irony in the headline is intended. The rest of the text is supposed to be sincere.)



Since I have a severe intolerance of all things pink and fluffy I’m probably the last person to write about Saint Valentine’s Day except when it comes to fun facts (such as there are quite a few Valentine-named saints the Catholic church has recognized and most of them were brutally martyred). However, in order to escape all the illusion-oriented, naïve, pretentious propaganda-in-pink I decided to take a moment to reflect on things that genuinely are important to me.


1. J.R.R. Tolkien. You know why.


2. Nature
I’m not saying I don’t like the city I currently live in. It’s nice and compact, neither too big nor too small. The lakes and parks are beautiful and I like the atmosphere in general. This is a nice city but it is a city nevertheless. Every time I go to the countryside after spending a long time here I feel like I've been holding my breath for weeks and finally get some air when I step out of the car. I need nature; it is as simple as that.


3. Animals.
I love all kinds of animals but especially horses and cats are very close to my heart. I took riding lessons and helped to take care of horses for seven years but then school started to take too much time and I had to quit. I didn't do that lightly and I still miss horses very much (especially the one in the picture – I took care of him weekly for several years but he was put down in 2012). I believe that having a hobby that so essentially includes working with animals is an engagement and deserves both time and effort – therefore I don’t want to start riding again quite yet.

Picture by Noora

This fabulous creature is our cat. He lives with my parents
which is good since I don't believe he'd like it in a city any more than I.
4. Night walks
This is, once again, one thing I most definitely do not enjoy doing in the city and I think it is understandable. On the countryside it is one of my favourite things to do no matter whether it is winter or summer. I love the light summer nights and the dark starry winter sky equally much and I enjoy long walks across fields and forests. Cheesy? Absolutely, but I don’t even care. Besides, it is Valentine’s Day and I’m entitled to be just as cheesy as I please.


5. Music
I don’t know anything about music, anything at all. All I know is that I enjoy it, especially instrumental, slightly folk or new age style music. I’m very fond of Scottish and Irish music but generally my taste varies a lot. Lately I've been listening a lot to this wonderful song by Secret Garden, I find it simply enchanting.


6. Scotland
Does this one require an explanation? Didn't think so. Should one grow roots in a foreign land it is not likely to happen in one summer – and yet it did.

Ballater

Stonehaven

7. Writing
Everything I've got to say about this one sounds ridiculous and hence I suppose it’s better to remain silent.



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti