perjantai 5. helmikuuta 2016

Pride and Shame

Today, 5.2., is dedicated to Finland’s national poet J.L. Runeberg, the man behind The Tales of Ensing Stål (Fänrik Ståls sägner, originally written in Swedish) which also includes the poem that became our national anthem. Even though our Swedish-speaking minority is very small Swedish is our second official language and I’m really glad that the great talent of our Finland-Swedish authors and poets is yet praised and treasured. I’m proud to have such artist in our country and celebrating their work is gladdening. That being said, I woke up this morning ready to be all cheesy and sentimental about Finnish literature and poetry for the next 24 hours.

Then, regrettably, I turned on my laptop.

And saw this:

I almost feel like I have no right to say this, but please, if there’s someone non-Finnish out there reading this, this is not how we are. Most of us find behavior like this repulsive and unjustified. Members of such groups are using the current news stream – or whirlpool, more likely – to justify violence, prejudice and xenophobia – racism, even. These people are self-righteous and intolerant, unable to see the deep immorality rising from the incongruity of their so-called values and actions. In the end mere hate is what’s been achieved. Don’t we have enough of that already?
I kind of lost my festive spirit.



Someone made an ice-thingy, it’s at the market place in Tampere. It’s beautiful – all ice is in my eyes, though.


P.S. I started this rambling by praising one of our poets. An important part of Runeberg’s Day is eating tarts (or pies, I’m not quite sure how to call them – they are sweet pastries with almond, rum and raspberry jam) named after him. The story is that the recipe was devised by his wife Fredrika. The tarts are very nice but I’m boycotting them nonetheless – Fredrika Runeberg was a wonderful writer herself, excelling in writing historical novels and it annoys me that all people can think of when hearing her name are those damn tarts.



As long as there’s snow even this city has its moments.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti