keskiviikko 7. lokakuuta 2015

One out of Seven

Should I choose one of the capital vices to represent the very core of my soul it would be envy. (Yes, the capital vices are a proper thing to ponder at this hour in the morning.) I’m rather an envious person – not that I’d like that too much, it just happens to be that way. That’s me and that’s how I’ll most likely remain happily ever after.

A few words concerning things I tend to envy.

Being envious of someone’s property or material things in general is something I find hard to understand. I don’t see the point of it; one doesn’t become worth envy merely by gaining wealth. What I envy is what comes before the status and its symbols. The skill. The hard work. The intelligence. The persistence. The courage. All these I value though skill above others. Luck is not included in this list. Luck is not worth envying. Luck is not deserved.

Oh how I envy those who truly are smart and skillful. Those who actually make things happen and deserve everything they’ve got. This is the very point: I’d never envy someone who succeeded in life by chance of being aided by luck. That kind of success is meaningless to me. Then again I could very well (and do, in fact) envy people that don’t necessarily seem successful but possess the intelligence and skills that are needed to gain something in life. That’s what I envy. The potential, not the outcome.





The nighttime frost finally came. I love these cool, bright autumn mornings. (It is both natural and perfectly understandable to move from the bitterness of capital vices to something as mundane as weather. Not giving a damn about how awkward the transition is, of course.)

3 kommenttia:

  1. Wise words about envy and things to be jealous about. Wise words indeed, my dear friend.

    VastaaPoista
  2. Thank you, dear friend. :) Needless to say that your brain is worth anyone's envy - and that, as you know, is to be taken as a compliment.

    VastaaPoista
  3. Oh my, thank you! It means a lot coming from you. :) I've again been second questioning my decision to study in a university so hearing something like that really warms my heart. ^^ Not that having a good brain means just academic achievements. :P

    VastaaPoista