perjantai 16. joulukuuta 2016

Greetings from a lazy writer

Shame on me, what a long break!

The truth is, there hasn’t been much to write about lately. I’ve spent the past months in the lovely quiet idleness of the aging year. These months truly are my favourites, first the barren and grey and yet so stunning autumn, then the first snow and crispy days. The colder the better! I can’t get enough of the brightness and whiteness (as long as it lasts, that is: it should be above zero soon again) and the clear winter nights. So I’ve been absorbing all that divine beauty lately – I have time to because I’ve finished my studies for this year. That includes finishing my master’s thesis which is both good and bad, sweet and bitter: I am glad to get things ready and done but somehow I wished for that work to last forever. I really enjoyed the process and am a bit melancholic about letting it go. Well, what’s done is done.






Apart from studying (I also completed basic-level studies in Latin – half accidentally, I started taking classes for fun and out of pure interest) I’ve read a few interesting books. I finally finished Crime and Punishment. I don’t know what it is, I can’t put my finger on it but for some reason it really felt like hard work to get past some parts. The story was interesting and so were the characters but something about it made me easily distracted and not properly focused. I had the same problem with Anna Karenina a couple of years ago. Then again I absolutely devoured three of Tove Jansson’s novels. I haven’t read much in Swedish but I’d really recommend Tove Jansson to anyone, her books are the perfect place to start. The language is fairly easy yet very rhythmic, witty and figurative. There is something deeply soothing and reassuring about those books. The ones I read were Farlig Midsommar, Pappan och havet and Sent i November, the last one being my all-time favourite.

I always make the same mistake, reading two or even three books at the same time. I’m now reading David Copperfield and then, of course, The Faerie Queene is still there waiting. I’ve had a break with that one but I’m determined to finish it. Slowly but surely, as they say.






P.S. I’m going to spend Christmas in Germany. That should be interesting.


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti