keskiviikko 29. kesäkuuta 2016

Lingering Light

We celebrated Midsummer last weekend – ‘we’ referring to whole Finland. For me Midsummer is more or less a sacred thing and I like to spend it quietly, taking long walks in the nature, being outside at night, abandoning reason for a while letting myself believe there is more in this world than that we see and sense.

















This year Midsummer felt even more significant than usually; perhaps due to Shakespeare’s 400th anniversary. I must admit I haven’t read Shakespeare all that much: I’ve only read some of his best known plays but shamefully his sonnets are still a new thing to me. However, the proper way to celebrate Midsummer this year was obviously to re-read Midsummer Night’s Dream. Oh how I love that play! Since I’m a devoted fan of Tolkien one might say I cannot embrace both Shakespeare’s and Tolkien’s version of faerie – but I do. As different as they are they’re both dear to me and very fascinating. In July I’ll go to Suomenlinna open-air theatre to see the play. Suomenlinna is a former sea fortress which nowadays is inhabited and a UNESCO World Heritage site. It is a part of Helsinki and consists of several islands. If you ever come to Finland it’s worth seeing.




As much as I enjoyed the most magical time of the year (also great time for spotting bats, I saw quite a few of them) there was something missing. I think I’ll write more about it later since it will be quite a lament.



This cloud kind of looks like a galloping horse. Or then it's just
my inner horse girl dreaming once again.



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti