maanantai 19. tammikuuta 2015

Impossibilities

Dreaming is good, they say. Dreaming is beneficial, they say. Dreaming is a wild goose chase, says I. Wild goose chase, will-o'-the-wisp, fool's errand, wasted effort - pick your idiom, we're talking impossibilities.

Sure dreaming can be motivating and uplifting; problems arise when dreams become goals. When the turning point is reached one has to stop dreaming and start working or alternatively forget about the dream before it becomes a goal. If the dream is abandoned in time it’ll remain in one’s mind as a sweet memory – if not, it will, at some point, become a disappointment.

Sometimes I find myself torn between two very different ideals, one of them being rationality and reason, the other dreaming and fixating on impossibilities. Even though I think impossible is a word one shouldn't use lightly in this case I dare to include it in my sentence. Besides, there are such things as impossibilities. According to the principle of plenitude no possibility remains unactualized through an infinity of time for otherwise the possibility isn't real. In the Aristotelian version of this principle it is said that what always is, is by necessity; that, which never is, is impossible. The potentiality of my dreams – or dream in singular for there is just one dream I've had through all my life – remains unactualized which means I have all the reason to believe the category it belongs to is that of impossibilities, as unfortunate as it is.


And yet, no matter what the odds are, I’ll keep chasing even if it is wild geese I’m after.



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti