keskiviikko 3. joulukuuta 2014

Pointless pondering and a lament for not-yet-fallen snow

For quite a while I’ve been wondering whether I should write in Finnish or in English. Naturally making ridiculous grammatical mistakes is far less likely in my native language but on the other hand I definitely need an excuse to use English more. Do I speak English? Yes. Do I read books in English? Of course. Do I hear it every day? Yes, I do. Do I write in English? Not that much, unfortunately. Most of my courses require reading books and articles in English but all the essays and homework are done in Finnish. Perhaps this is something I should change.

As much as I hate making mistakes I think it’s time to swallow my pride and give it a shot. The good thing is that very few people read my texts which means the chances of misunderstandings are correspondingly few. Generally I suck at mathematics (and when I say I suck it means I suck majorly) but this kind of calculation I can comprehend. However, my main reason to choose English (for now, at least) is that I love it as a language – not just because I find British, especially Scottish, culture extremely fascinating or because some of this world’s greatest blessings (such as J.R.R. Tolkien, Shakespeare, Oscar Wilde and Jane Austen) come from Britain. I love English, the intonation, the rhythm of speech and the phonetics of it in general. My love is so unconditional that I’m willing to ignore even the incomprehensibly haphazard phrasal verbs and other logic-defying structures. All right, slight irony may be included in the last sentence but please keep in mind that it is nothing but a sign of deep affection.

Enough with the metatext.

I saw the sun today. In fact it was out there for at least three hours which is a miracle in December. I wouldn’t mind the darkness and polar night at all if we had some snow (which we should by now). Snow makes everything seem soft, dream-like even, and I love the blueness of moonlit, snowy landscapes. That’s what northern winter is supposed to be like, not just wet and windy as it is now. On the other hand even though I love all our four seasons autumn is the one I love most so I shouldn’t complain.


Metatextual rambling and weather… Well that’s interesting for sure.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti